- It is typically used by the developers before and sometimes during component and integration testing.
- It is also used by the designers during software modeling
- Compiler can be considered as a static analysis tool because it builds a symbol table, points out incorrect usage and checks for non-compliance to coding language conventions or syntax. [Read more…]
- Performed on requirement design or code without actually executing the software or before the code is actually run.
- Goal of static analysis is to find the defects whether or not they may cause failure.
- Static analysis find defects rather than failures.
- It is the most formal review type
- It is led by the trained moderators [Read more…]
- It is less formal review
- It is led by the trained moderator but can also be led by a technical expert [Read more…]
- It is not a formal process/review
- It is led by the authors [Read more…]
The main review types that come under the static testing are mentioned below:
- It is not a formal process
- It is led by the authors
- Author guide the participants through the document according to his or her thought process to achieve a common understanding and to gather feedback. [Read more…]
During a review four types of participants take part. They are:
- The moderator:
- Also known as review leader
- Performs entry check
- Follow-up on the rework
- Schedules the meeting
- Coaches other team
- Leads the possible discussion and stores the data that is collected
Formal reviews follow a formal process. It is well structured and regulated.
A formal review process consists of six main steps:
- Review meeting
- Follow-up [Read more…]
Informal reviews are applied many times during the early stages of the life cycle of the document. A two person team can conduct an informal review. In later stages these reviews often involve more people and a meeting. The goal is to keep the author and to improve the quality of the document. The most important thing to keep in mind about the informal reviews is that they are not documented.
The uses of static testing are as follows:
- Since static testing can start early in the life cycle so early feedback on quality issues can be established.
- As the defects are getting detected at an early stage so the rework cost most often relatively low.
- Development productivity is likely to increase because of the less rework effort.
- Types of the defects that are easier to find during the static testing are: deviation from standards, missing requirements, design defects, non-maintainable code and inconsistent interface specifications.
- Static tests contribute to the increased awareness of quality issues.