People often ask us for software testing interview questions and answers. At the end of this post you will find the link to download the PDF with 202 Software Testing Interview Question and Answers.
Before we get to that, it’s useful to understand the types of questions that are asked during software testing interviews. The questions can be majorly categorized under three categories.
1. Terms and terminologies
The interviewer can ask you to explain some terms and terminologies related to testing like – what is a defect, what is regression testing, What is black box testing, white box testing, What is BVA, etc.
When such questions are asked it’s better to explain them with examples and diagrams. This gives them the confidence that you are aware of the terminologies and topics related to software testing.
2. Theoretical questions
If the interviewer is content with your basic knowledge on testing topics and they may proceed with the next level of assessment. They may ask you some theoretical questions in order to assess your expertise on the subject like – What is the difference between functional testing and non-functional testing, What are the testing techniques, What are the types of testing, What makes a good Software QA engineer, What’s the big deal about ‘requirements’, How do you determine when to stop testing, What if there isn’t enough time for thorough testing, etc.
It’s always good to answer such questions in detail. Try to give some examples of whatever you have done in such situations in your company. This will help them to confirm that you are a genuine candidate who has a good work experience in testing profession.
It’s possible that your current organization may not have followed the right process, in such a case, it’s good to know what the correct process is and explain that as well.
3. Practical questions
Some interviewers prefer to judge you on your analytical skills by asking you some practical questions or scenario based questions like – Explain all the test scenarios for a keypad application on your mobile phone, How you will test a given application in very less time, Explain a scenario where the severity is low but priority is high, they may give you some problem solving questions etc.
It’s good to practice such scenarios earlier so that you are prepared for the interview. Interviewers may not expect the correct answer but they do expect you to make your best attempt.
How to prepare for a Software Testing Interview
- Study the material properly and understand all the terms and terminologies.
- Do some research and find out some details about the organization where you are interviewing.
- Wear formal attire that you would likely need to wear in that position.
- Do not be nervous. Be confident and aware of your skills, abilities and experiences.
- Take relevant material to the interview like resume, certificates, references or names and their contact details.
- Make sure you turn up at the interview, 15 minutes prior to the time of interview. It’s better to be early than late.
- Don’t be disheartened if you are not selected. Review the questions that were asked and find the correct answers to the ones you may have gotten wrong. Remember this is just another learning lesson to prepare you for the next interview.
Click here to download 200+ Software Testing Interview Questions and Answers.