- It is a type of non-functional testing.
- Volume testing refers to testing a software application or the product with a certain amount of data. E.g., if we want to volume test our application with a specific database size, we need to expand our database to that size and then test the application’s performance on it. [Read more…]
In non-functional testing the quality characteristics of the component or system is tested. Non-functional refers to aspects of the software that may not be related to a specific function or user action such as scalability or security. Eg. How many people can log in at once? Non-functional testing is also performed at all levels like functional testing.
Non-functional testing includes:
- Reliability testing
- Usability testing
- Efficiency testing
- Maintainability testing
- Portability testing
- Baseline testing
- Compliance testing
- Documentation testing
- Endurance testing
- Load testing
- Performance testing
- Compatibility testing
- Security testing
- Scalability testing
- Volume testing
- Stress testing
- Recovery testing
- Internationalization testing and Localization testing
- Reliability testing: Reliability Testing is about exercising an application so that failures are discovered and removed before the system is deployed. The purpose of reliability testing is to determine product reliability, and to determine whether the software meets the customer’s reliability requirements.
- Usability testing: In usability testing basically the testers tests the ease with which the user interfaces can be used. It tests that whether the application or the product built is user-friendly or not.
Usability testing includes the following five components:
- Learnability: How easy is it for users to accomplish basic tasks the first time they encounter the design?
- Efficiency: How fast can experienced users accomplish tasks?
- Memorability: When users return to the design after a period of not using it, does the user remember enough to use it effectively the next time, or does the user have to start over again learning everything?
- Errors: How many errors do users make, how severe are these errors and how easily can they recover from the errors?
- Satisfaction: How much does the user like using the system?