Monitoring tools are used to continuously keep track of the status of the system in use, in order to have the earliest warning of failures, defects or problems and to improve them.
There are monitoring tools for servers, networks, databases, security, performance, website and internet usage, and applications.
Features or characteristics of monitoring tools are:
- To identify the problems and send an alert message to the administrator (e.g. network administrator);
- To log real-time and historical information;
- To find optimal settings;
- To monitor the number of users on a network;
- To monitor network traffic (either in real time or covering a given length of time of operation with the analysis performed afterwards).