ISTQB Agile Tester Extension Certification
ISTQB has introduced a new certification known as ISTQB Agile Tester Certification Extension. Software development and testing in an agile project follows a significantly different approach compared to regular software projects.
Testers who are part of the agile projects need to have a good understanding of the Agile software development processes, the testing methodologies, difference in testing between traditional and agile approaches, tool and techniques in Agile project etc.
This certification tests the knowledge of candidates in these areas.
Who is eligible to take up the ISTQB Agile Tester Extension Certification?
You need to be ISTQB Foundation Level certified before you can take up the Agile Tester Extension Certification.
What are the exam dates for ISTQB Agile Extension Certification in 2017?
The test center location and 2017 exam dates for ISTQB Agile Extension are given on a separate page.
What is the Agile Tester Extension Certification syllabus?
The following topics are covered under the certification:
- Fundamentals of Agile software development – The candidate taking up the certification should have an understanding of the fundamental theory and philosophy of Agile which was based on the Agile manifesto. They should understand the advantages of the whole team approach in Agile and that of early and regular feedback.
- The features of Agile development – This topic covers the various approaches to software development under Agile. Candidates should be familiar with the process by which User Stories are created in partnership with product owners, business users and developers. This topic also covers the benefits of process improvement through the use of Retrospection and how continuous integration is useful in Agile projects and how it is implemented. Other aspects covered under this topic are sprint planning, release and iteration planning in agile and the role of the tester in these processes. They should understand Agile specific terms like Definition of Done and how it relates to their tasks.
- Testing in traditional and Agile projects – This topics tests the candidates knowledge of the difference that exists in testing in Agile and non-Agile projects. It also covers function and responsibility of testing team/tester in an Agile project and how testing and coding work together in these projects.
- Testing in Agile projects – This topic tests the knowledge of the candidates in areas related to communication of test status, progress and quality in Agile projects. It covers the work products that are used for this purpose. It also covers the importance of automation testing to manage risks and the testing processes evolution over multiple iterations.
- Roles and skills of a tester in Agile projects – A tester in an Agile project is expected to know his/her role and the skills that they must processes in order to perform their tasks effectively.
- Agile testing techniques and methods – Candidates appearing for the certification should be able to recollect details of Behavior Driven Development, Test Driven Development, Acceptance Test Driven Development, test pyramid. They should also have an understanding of testing levels, types and quadrants. They should also be knowledgeable regarding the role of a tester in a Scrum team.
- Assess product quality risks within an Agile project
- Estimate testing effort in Agile based on iteration content and quality risks
- Tools and Techniques in Agile projects – Testers should be able to identify various tools and their use, how and when they are used in Agile projects. They should also be able interpret business requirements for testing activities and be able to explain the acceptance criteria to the business teams. They should be able to come up with Acceptance Test driven development test cases based on the user stories and should also be able to create test cases for both functional and non-functional test. They should also have knowledge of exploratory testing techniques.
What is the structure of this certification?
The certification is made up of 40 multiple choice questions that have to be answered in 60 minutes. You need to score 65% in order to pass the exam.
Can I take up this certification now?
This certification may not be available in all countries at this time. Please contact the certification board in your country to find out if the exam is administered in your country. They will be able to answers questions on availability of the exam, dates and fees for the exam.
Why should I take the certification, what are the benefits?
By taking up this certification you will get thorough knowledge about the Agile Methodology. Today most of the industries follow the Agile Process. Most of the companies while hiring the candidates they ask whether he/she has Agile knowledge or not. Here, if you will be ISTQB Agile Tester Extension Certified then it demonstrates your knowledge of Agile Process to the interview panel which gives you an advantage. This site will help you to prepare for the Agile tester certification. Even if you are not appearing for the certification going through this material will help you to understand the Agile process which will be beneficial in your projects.