Software Testing has different goals and objectives.The major objectives of Software testing are as follows:
- Finding defects which may get created by the programmer while developing the software.
- Gaining confidence in and providing information about the level of quality.
- To prevent defects.
- To make sure that the end result meets the business and user requirements.
- To ensure that it satisfies the BRS that is Business Requirement Specification and SRS that is System Requirement Specifications.
- To gain the confidence of the customers by providing them a quality product.
Software testing helps in finalizing the software application or product against business and user requirements. It is very important to have good test coverage in order to test the software application completely and make it sure that it’s performing well and as per the specifications.
While determining the test coverage the test cases should be designed well with maximum possibilities of finding the errors or bugs. The test cases should be very effective. This objective can be measured by the number of defects reported per test cases. Higher the number of the defects reported the more effective are the test cases.
Once the delivery is made to the end users or the customers they should be able to operate it without any complaints. In order to make this happen the tester should know as how the customers are going to use this product and accordingly they should write down the test scenarios and design the test cases. This will help a lot in fulfilling all the customer’s requirements.
Software testing makes sure that the testing is being done properly and hence the system is ready for use. Good coverage means that the testing has been done to cover the various areas like functionality of the application, compatibility of the application with the OS, hardware and different types of browsers, performance testing to test the performance of the application and load testing to make sure that the system is reliable and should not crash or there should not be any blocking issues. It also determines that the application can be deployed easily to the machine and without any resistance. Hence the application is easy to install, learn and use.